Sunday 6 January 2008

Enhance graphics with the Restrained Life viewer (Mac)

Hi.

If you use the Restrained Life viewer on the Mac, you might suffer some graphics issues from time to time.

Some suffer more, some suffer less, I suffer most. - At least my personal impression.

So why is this, and is there anything to do about it?
Well the answer to the second question is: yes.
But let me answer the why first:

Why are there graphics issues?
The original viewer, provided by Linden Lab uses a commercial graphics library. The graphics library is the part of the software, responsible to print all the graphics on your screen.
Due to licencing, the open source viewer does not support this commercial graphics library. It uses a open source library. And this is the point. That library has some issues not solved yet. If you use it, you might see the issues in your graphics :-(

Is there something I can do?
There is. Downlad the original viewer corresponding to your Restrained Life viewer version. Open the content of the application and browse for Contents/Resources/libllkdu.dylib and copy that libllkdu.dylib to the same location into your Restrained Life application.

Is it better now?
Usually yes. I know people having no issues any more, after they did that. Unfortunately I myself still suffer quite some issues, like bad texture loading. As I told you, I suffer most.

You see, some things I tell you are truth..

Have some restrained fun,
Yours, Mo.

1 comment:

Danii said...

Thanks!
Copying that library definitely improved my SL experience. It's not perfect yet, texture loading seems extremely slow sometimes (or should I say halted?) but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Danke!

Now just let's hope Apple/LL/nVidia fix the MacBook Pro issue...